Monday, November 28, 2011

G.L.R.O.W.*

*Granny's Little Rolodex of Wisdom

Some bits of wisdom from the last few months...


September 15

When God measures a man,
He puts the tape around the heart -
not the head.



September 21

What I know of God
Encourages me to trust Him
In all I do not know.



September 23

The waves forever move;
The hills forever rest;
Yet each the heavens approve,
And love alike hath blessed
A Martha's household care,
A Mary's cloistered prayer.

K. Gibran



September 24

It is more difficult by far
To mend a heart that by angry words
has been broken
Than it would be to hold them back,
unspoken.



September 25

The highest reward for man's toil
Is not what he gets for it,
But what he becomes by it.

John Ruskin



October 3

I walked a mile with Pleasure,
She chattered all the way,
But left me none the wiser
For all she had to say.
I walked a mile with sorrow,
A ne'er a word said she;
But, oh, the things I learned from her
When sorrow walked with me.



October 4

Whatever you dislike in another
person,
Take care to correct in yourself.



October 6

Great minds talk about ideas;
Mediocre minds talk about things;
Small minds talk about other people.



October 7

I find the great thing in this world
Is not so much where we stand
As in what direction we are moving.

Oliver W. Holmes



And a perfect justification for not loading the dishwasher, but blogging instead....

October 8

Thank God for dirty dishes -
They have a tale to tell:
While others go hungry,
We are eating well.
With home and health and happiness,
We shouldn't want to fuss,
For by this stack of evidence,
God has been good to us.




No comments:

Post a Comment