Monday, January 24, 2011

As of late...

Student News

Spring semester of school is underway! I am starting to look for creative new ideas for school time. My little man has been complaining that his work was just too easy! I suppose that's a good thing, though. Today we mixed things up a little bit. I sat the kids down at the table with a sale paper, crayons, scissors, and 2 coupon inserts. R was given the task of clipping coupons for items he thought we could use. E was given the job of circling all the items in the sale paper that she thought we "needed." Some good news: R has shown great improvement in cutting along lines, and E circled lots of things that got her Daddy's approval! Those items included: a big screen tv, an Amazon Kindle, and an Ipod touch with accessories. She also included mascara and milk! Priorities, friend! ;)

We still try to keep track of all the books R is reading. He reads the picture books so fast, though, that it's hard to keep up. As far as we can tell he is within ten books of the 200 mark. This year he has started reading chapter books. (A to Z Mysteries are his current favorite!) One of our favorite things to do with the kids is to take our weekly trip to the local library. I think this has been so important in teaching the love of reading to our kids. It also helps that their Daddy faithfully reads to both of them every night.

I hope this year is filled with learning opportunities for R. I would love to see him take swimming lessons and start music lessons before the end of the school year. I also hope to start Miss E on a more organized Pre-K schedule this Fall. We shall see how much we can all do when little brother arrives in May!

I am still surprised at times when I think about the life I am living. I would never have thought I would find myself being a homeschooling mom (...much less a Sunday School teaching, couponing, homeschooling, stay at home mom who wants to have a garden and learn to make her own soap!). I wouldn't have my life any other way...I feel so blessed to have my little family and my faith.

Jer 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.







No comments:

Post a Comment