Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Good Reads

I have been delving into more fiction books as of late. I tend to stay in the realm of non-fiction, but have enjoyed the reprieve.

I am a Jane Austen fan. I love the honor, the romance, and the conversation of the time. I appreciate the insight into people's thoughts and lives and the honest way that she portrays the characters' emotions and shortcomings. She doesn't reek of cynicism, but simply represents the people in a way that makes you realize their shortcomings without despairing over the loss of all goodness in humanity.

After some time spent looking at the shelves in the library (in the midst of a screaming child who's too excited about the rack of DVDs to listen to her mother's shh's) I have picked up some books the past few weeks...some worth reading and others not. :)

One of these books was a trip back in time to the author's idea of what might have happened in the life of Darcy and Elizabeth and their relations, Lady Catherine and Lady Anne. Perhaps I am too critical, but I felt it missed the mark when it came to their character...
I also attempted to read a book about the fictional, "Miss Althea Darcy" and her excursions. I promptly stopped reading it a few pages in. It seems no one I have found can compare to Austen herself. Rightfully so, I suppose.

There were, however, a few good reads in the bunch...

Rekindled by Tamera Alexander (Part One of the Fountain Creek Chronicles) & Revealed (Part Two of the Fountain Creek Chronicles)

These two are set in the Oregon Territory in the 1800s. I stayed up until 4 in the morning reading the 2nd. (And if you know me, that feat is hard to imagine) They were both such a pleasure to read. I was in suspense all through the first book. It was my favorite of the two...Beautiful story of how God's love and mercy can change a person whose heart is cold.

Hidden Places by Lynn Austin

This book was also very hard to put down. We get a glimpse of the characters through their own thoughts and humanness. Set during the depression, this story has love, secrets, mysteries, and surprises. The end left me somewhat disappointed, but I think it was simply because it wasn't what I expected. It's worth the time to enjoy this book as well.

The Courteous Cad by Catherine Palmer

This book was really not what I expected. It did, however, exceed my expectations. It is set in the Regency period in England. A love story that involves two very likely people according to the outward, but very unlikely according to the inward man. They experience changes in their lives that shape them into different people in the end. Their concepts of God are misconstrued at some points, but in the end they embrace His mercy and love in their lives. If you also love the time period, Jane Austen's style, and a good love story, then I recommend this book.

I think it's apparent that I am a hopeless romantic. I am drawn to books set in a different time and also Christian Romance books. They both seem to hold to a level of purity that I appreciate.

I hope you take the time soon to enjoy a good book...And appreciate the story God is writing of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment