Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Marriage

Intimacy. It's a touchy subject. (No pun intended.)

It's hard for some born-again saints to even discuss it. In a world of perversion, I understand the reasons why. I also understand that God wants our conversation to be pure and chaste.

There are, however, some important reasons to truly understand intimacy. Some reasons to discuss it as it relates to marriage: both the earthly and heavenly.

God said in Matt 7:23, "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

"...I never knew you"

One of the interpretations of this scripture is that "knowing" refers to being intimate with that person. After all, it is understood and accepted that God knows us all in the literal sense of the word. He created and formed us in our mother's womb.

γινώσκω ginōskō ("knew you")

(http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1097&t=KJV)


Definition #3: Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman

God has ordained a beautiful relationship between a man and his wife. There is, I believe, a closeness and intimacy there that is a direct (admittedly flawed at times) reflection of the intimacy that God wants to have with us.

I want to know God the way He intended.

God's Church is the bride of Christ. We are His. It is biblical for us to be intimate with our Lord, just as it is biblical for a man to be intimate with his wife.

I fear those words, "depart from me." I want to please Him! God wants me to be close to Him. God wants me to be intimate with Him. Intimate in a perfect and pure way. Nothing like the world...

Something precious.
Something beautiful.
Something heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment